Friday, March 12, 2010

BROOKS WON'T RUN FOR CONGRESS

Announced late this morning.

Full statement:

Over the last several days I have been overwhelmed by the outpouring of support from everyday taxpayers across our community who encouraged me to run for Congress. While it would have been a distinct honor to represent the hardworking residents of New York’s 29th Congressional District, after thoughtful deliberation with my family, friends, and community leaders I have decided not to seek a seat in Congress at this time.

When I was first elected Monroe County Executive over six years ago, I pledged to always act in the best interests of local taxpayers. I’ve used that pledge as the basis for every decision made during my tenure, whether in governing or politics. We have accomplished much since 2004 – six straight years of balanced budgets and stable property taxes, helping local businesses create and retain thousands of jobs, ensuring our public safety services are among the best in the nation, and continued efforts to make government more efficient and accountable to taxpayers. However, in these challenging times, I feel more work remains to be done.

I am eternally proud to call Monroe County my home and am honored to have continually received the trust of our local taxpayers. Together, we are tackling the challenges faced by all levels of governments right here on a local level – and we are certainly succeeding. The time may come when we take our message of stable taxes, controlled spending, and job creation to the halls of Congress, but today I couldn’t be prouder to continue serving our community as County Executive.

No comments: