Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Governor Paterson And The Furloughs

Is It Me, Or Is This Guy A Real Stunod?

Despite my extensive involvement in the legal system, I don't consider myself a legal expert. But Governor Paterson's plan to furlough state workers is one of the dumbest things I've seen since he warned about the dire consequences of increased spending in last year's state budget shortly before signing it.

Newspaper reports show that almost everybody feels that the furloughs are illegal.

I think ultimately the courts will overturn it, because I think it interferes with a collective bargaining agreement under federal and state law. I don't think that's appropriate," said Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, D-Manhattan.
I'm in the unusual position of agreeing with Speaker Silver. Here's my take: The unions are either going to go to court and be granted an injunction, or(what I would do) let the furloughs take place for a few weeks and have a judge declare them illegal and grant the state workers back pay for the days they had off!

What could be better for union leaders? Not giving an inch after obtaining a 4 year 13% wage increase (during the greatest economic downturn since the depression)for their members and getting them additional paid days off.

If my Uncle Vito was really looking out for me when I was a kid, he would have steered me away from the family business. After all, this episode really shows that it isn't crime that pays. In New York State be a unionized state worker is really where it is at!

No comments: